Tuesday, August 14, 2007

all good things come to an end



This is my very last author drawing for the newspaper, sadly enough. I was supposed to have done them one year, 2006, ended up doing them well into 2007, but now I am really done, and Peter van Dongen will take over. My dear husband was kind enough to make me a website with the collected author drawings. The NRC will publish the URL with this last one, on August 31st. I hope I will sell some prints to the NRC readership. For now, you can tell me which of my drawings is your favourite, I'd like that. Please don't tell me your least favourite ones, I am a sensitive soul. I myself, I am most happy with Willem Brakman, Elsbeth Etty, Eva Gerlach, and Ramsey Nasr.

5 comments:

  1. It's hard for me to pick a favorite out of them all. As a series you've managed to maintain an consistant level of quality. There is not a single drawing that looks like you've rushed it (although I believe that it was sometimes very tight in matters of deadlines.
    I think you can be very, very proud of your collection of drawings. It would not surprise me at all if the NRC would do something with your work later in time. Maybe a show in the 'Museum van de Letterkunde'?

    My personal favorites: Hella Haase nr. 1. I love that huge forehead!
    And Heleen van Rooyen is special too. Her head has a very unusual shape but it does not feel uncomfortable at all. Her eyes and the pose are just great.

    Well done Eliane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've picked Hans Verhagen & Vrouwkje Tuinman.
    Because the way they look out of their eyes and the way that correspondents with the total picture.
    Do I make any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about Vrouwkje, But Hans Verhagen, yes. I did not have to exaggerate anything about him. More extreme than he already looks would have been absurd and cruel. For some subjects the truth is already too harsh. And Bjorn, yes, Hella Haasse is a lot of people's favourite. I always try to flatter women, the only one I couldn't flatter was Doeschka Meijsing. A very old woman like Haasse was close to impossible too, but I managed it. That's why the drawing looks loving, almost. Heleen van Royen was different again. When it's very hard to find someone's "edge", I keep sketching until I discover which of their features stand out, and can help me to achieve likeness. In Heleen's case, it was her neck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great piece of work Eliane! My personal favourite is the one with the bright red hair (I'm a disaster when it comes to names, especially writer's names).

    ReplyDelete