Saturday, April 21, 2007

Ninja Turtle Scam


Seeing a new Ninja Turtle-movie advertised brings back unwanted memories .
In the early nineties I was asked by some ad-guy to make 4 wraparound-designs to be put on plastic milk-mugs, depicting the then popular Ninja Turtles. All major supermarkets in Holland would be selling them. Having small, hungry children I consented.
Each mug was to have a screw-on lid with a turtle-head on top. While I started studying turtology and looking for ways to play with the fact that each drawing would 'bite' it's own tail, my wife and a friend painted hundreds of turtle-head-dummies green , with 4 differently coloured masks. When I was done drawing I spray-glued my color-xeroxes on hundreds of mug-dummies (finding out how hard it is to perfectly glue a rectangle around a cilinder) . Our life was turtle-green from dusk till dawn.
It was to be the only green we got to see. The ad-guy turned out to be a fraud.

3 comments:

  1. That sucks Peter, I mean the fraud part. I've encountered my share of unreliable business people, so it makes me mad to hear about this.

    On a different note, it is interesting to see you take on this style. Although I don't think it's your kind of style you adapted it quite neatly. It must have been a hell to imitate the hackneyed TMNT cartoon style, or not?

    Cheers,

    M7

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7!
    Hackneyed? Love your vocabulary! ('Sawed-off' you mean?) Well, once in a while I don't mind a venture into an alien (to me) style! Maybe I can put some more examples of that on this here site..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Peter! Yes, I'm a word lover and instantly fell in love with the word 'hackneyed'. :)

    I know you're quite able to adapt alien styles, and you are very welcome to expose that over here in the green green Clogwork pasture.

    Cheerio,

    M7

    ReplyDelete